31 January

How’s your January been?

I’m going to stay firmly on writing and health.

I started the month by putting together a spreadsheet which allows me to tabulate Submissions – both currently out, and what was sent monthly – and word count. I set myself the target of 5 submissions per month, and an average of 500 words per day. And I joined a 12-in-12 group, where the commitment is to write and submit a new story each month.

How did that go in January?

13 submissions

15,781 words written

I have 11 stories awaiting response, 2 that have been passed for further consideration, and received 7 rejections. I also have one story where I submitted the wrong file, and need to resubmit.

One story was completed, and submitted.

All in all that is a pretty successful month activity wise for a hobby writer. Which is important for me to remember. This is not my job. I’m fortunate¬†(If a family suit of ill health ranging from Ehlers-Danlos through autism to epilepsy can be described as such) that I have the time to do as much as I do, and hopefully by the time I do need to be working again, I may have a pipeline of paying work.

Its also not bad considering I’ve had First Aid training, been to London twice (500 mile round trip) and my chronic fatigue is going through an extra bad spell.

Let me tell you about my new story. It’s called In Eldad’s Well, and is a weird western. A man returns to a town where he killed a man, and it’s deserted. He bunks down and wakes up to find it non-deserted. The town is suffering from the action of nearby ranchers, who happen to be centaurs. That’s all I’m saying at this point. But it was fun to write.

I also had three stories looked at by Charlie Finlay (it’s a perk of First Reading for SF&F). Wow, talk about helpful. One of the stories (A sword & sorcery blast that may be the first of a series) I completed in December. I’d had comment from a beta reader that the opening section didn’t work for them. I did look at it, and indeed tweaked it, but it does things that are important for the later story. Charlie gave solid suggestions on what to consider, and why. In explaining that he also provided tools that I can use in future stories.

And that is January.

Next month I’m aiming for the 5 submissions, average 500 words per day, 1 new story written and submitted. I also intend to create a spreadsheet of markets. I already use duotrope, but I need something that works in the way I do.

I’m also considering aiming to complete the writing portion of my target in the first 15-20 days (I managed 7 days of 1000+ words, that gave me over half the months total) and use the rest for re-writes. But we’ll need to see how that goes.

January 11th

I’ve had a lovely Occupation Therapist here for the last hour discussing my ME. I now get to partake in a seven week workshop on the issue (only 2 hours per week). That’s the most I’ve discussed my diagnosis since it was diagnosed in the middle of last year. The asperger part of me is dreading these group sessions, the writer part of me is excited.

Talking of writing, I’ve been doing some. There’s a flash piece for a CODEX competition, and a longer story I’m working on for a call by Afrocentric for their Afromyth anthology call. I submitted to the Afrofuture anthology and my story is on hold with them until the call is closed and final decisions on inclusion are made. I was also invited to submit to the Afromyth and Afrosteam calls.

This was most heartening. The story on hold is about a Nigerian-American woman in a round the world yacht race (time travel & whaling ships also appear). The anthologist is, coincidentally, a Nigerian-American woman. To have written a story she’s decided to hold for final consideration makes me immensely proud. It means I, to a worthwhile degree, have managed to write a character other than myself. I hope it wasn’t a one-time deal.

In other writing related news I’ve set up spreadsheets to track my writing and submissions for the year, and set myself goals for both. I’m currently tracking for submissions, and about 1700 words down on writing, though the ME has been bad and the concomitant brain fog has combined with self-doubt and starting-a-new-project fear to slow things down. I think I’m seeing a form for the Afromyth story, I’m currently trying to wrestle the idea into shape, and hopefully this will shift the logjam.

One of the ways I’m doing this is by using a writing formula. That sounds kind of dry and boring, but it seems to help. I first used it on a story that is currently finished, and being studiously ignored for a month or so. Under a¬†provisional title of Stormville and the Coup (sword & sorcery in a Conanesque manner) the story started with an opening paragraph written about eighteen months ago, and then forgotten about. When I re-read the fragment I really liked it, but wasn’t sure what to do with it so on a piece of paper I wrote:

Introduction

1st reversal

small victory

2nd reversal

denouement

twist

Then in each section I wrote a rough idea for what should happen. The finished story does not follow that plan exactly, indeed the nature of the MC changed from the start of writing to the finish to the extent that I had to do a re-write to consolidate her. But the main thing is this gave the story a structure for me to follow and, I think, I’ll be using it more. One thing I found is this gave me a story of about 10k words, and could easily have been more. I think a 5-7k story will need a tweaked version.

Now, time to go make Cornish Pasties with my daughter.